Friday, September 13, 2013

clay projects in the works

 Here are some clay projects I've been working on. The first is called "Fin and Feather" (unless I come up with something more clever). I finished it yesterday. It is made hollow by forming it kinda like a coil pot-like you might have made in grade school. She will sand on the legs on the fish when it's done. I thought it would be stronger if I epoxy her instead of fire her on there.
 She will dry for about a week. Then I will add color with underglaze which is colored slip. This is really tricky. You have to make sure it doesn't break because it is really fragile in its unfired state. Then she will be stuffed in the oven (kiln) and fired to cone 04. I will add more underglaze if she needs it and apply transparent matte glaze.  The transparent glaze makes the colors brighter and helps protect it and make it a bit stronger.
 She is fired again to cone 06. Hopefully I'll take her out and she will look fabulous. I'll do the finishing touches and attach the wheels and stuff.


Here is another one I'm calling "Giddy-Up Duck". It is dry and I will apply underglaze today. I know he looks extra creepy but he will look better after he gets his eyes in.
I was thinking of a Calvin and Hobes type figure ridding one of those playground ducks that rock back and forth. After he is fired I will attach him to a base made to look like a spring.

This one has been fired once. It's called Flower Beard? Anyway I am stumped as to how to finish him. That's what happens when I don't have a clear plan before I start. I've been thinking of just glazing a white crackle glaze with pastel-pink flowers and a few gold accents. Or I could just paint him with oil paints and color all the flowers blue...  just don't know, I'm probably over-thinking it. But if I glaze him there is no turning back.


No comments:

Post a Comment